Passionate Pavans & Galliards Music by John Dowland - Julianne Baird, Marshall Coid, Jerry Willard, Elaine Comparone
List Price: $16.98
Your Price: $14.98
You Save: $2.00 (12 %)
The Lyrichord Early Music Series proudly presents four of the greatest American artists recording today, in an exquisite and powerful performance of John Dowland's most tender and moving songs.
Soprano Julianne Baird, is one of the world's most respected and sought after recording artists and concert-performers. Countertenor Marshall Coid is fast becoming regarded as one of the leading artists of the Millennium. Virtuoso keyboardist Elaine Comparone, and lutenist Jerry Willard perform to sell-out crowds both as individuals, and as member's of The Queen's Chamber Band. Together, in the hands of veteran producer John Ostendorf, this foursome has created what may well come to be regarded as the most significant and moving Dowland release of the last 25 years!
Recorded in 2000 at New York's Town Hall, by David Smith and edited by Grammy-winner Stephen J. Epstein.
Performances [To Top]
1. Clear or cloudy sweet as Aprill showring (Second Book of Songs), for 4 voices & lute - 2:16
2. My Lord Willoughby's Welcome Home (2 versions, 1 for 2 lutes (second part doubtful authenticity)), for lute, P 66 - 1:42
3. Come again, sweet love doth now invite (First Book of Songs), for 4 voices & lute - 2:26
4. Flow, my tears, fall from your springs (Second Book of Songs), for 2 voices & lute - 4:18
5. Pavana Lachrimae (A Pilgrimes Solace), for lute or keyboard - 5:20
6. Tell me, true Love (A Pilgrimes Solace), for voice, bass viol, 4 part chorus & lute - 2:41
7. A Fancy, for lute - 2:21
8. If my complaints could passions move (First Book of Songs), for 4 voices & lute - 4:56
9. Can She Excuse - 5:54
10. Time stands still (Third Book of Songs), for voice, lute & bass viol - 2:23
11. Fantasia (possibly spurious), for lute in G minor, P 71 - 4:26
12. Sorrow, stay, lend true repentant tears (Second Book of Songs), for 2 voices & lute - 3:50
13. The lowest trees have tops (Third Book of Songs), for 4 voices & lute - 2:02
14. In darkness let me dwell (A Pilgrimes Solace), for voice, lute & bass viol - 4:52
15. My thoughts are winged with hopes (First Book of Songs), for 4 voices & lute - 4:03
16. Now, O now I needs must part (First Book of Songs), for 4 voices & lute - 4:32
"...Here is an excellent and varied recording of several Dowland songs. Vocal pieces are interspersed with instrumental--virginal or lute solos--and Julianne Baird and Marshall Coid sing separately or together, as the song demands...All singing and playing are done with a fine expression, with firmness, and with conviction...I have no hesitation in making this release a number one recommendation for someone contemplating a foray into Renaissance song..." Crawford, American Record Guide
"John Dowland was one of England's greatest composers, and anyone seeking a one-disc sampling of his works will be delighted with the compilation of solos, duets and instrumental pieces elegantly performed by soprano Julianne Baird, countertenor Marshall Coid, lutenist Jerry Willard, with Elaine Comparone playing the virginal and a similar but more mellow keyboard instrument, the muselar (LEMS 8046). The duets, in particular, clearly illustrate Purcell's debt to the older master."
Turok's Choice, 2001
WQXR/CHAMBER MUSIC AMERICA RECORD AWARD WINNER - BEST CD OF 2001!
Go to the Harpsichord Unlimited website to see concert schedule, and more!